Pages

Friday, 3 May 2013

Making A Beeline For An A Line

As I'm sure you are well aware by now I love a bit of groovy 70s floral bed linen (my sister certainly is as she gifted me these beauties last time she popped over) 
and have been making a few bits and bobs from my stash, cushion covers and just a few dresses for Missy, well it was high time I made something for me, so this week that's exactly what I did.

I decided to keep it simple and I thought a skirt would be well within my very limited dressmaking capabilities.  I'd made a hideous skirt in textiles at school, it was a pencil skirt as was the fashion at the time, hey I'd seen the commercials for Fashion Wheel, how hard could it be to be a couture designer?!  I opted to constructed it from a really tasteful turquoise cotton with a super sexy elasticated waist so I had previous.

A line skirts tend to suit me the best so, after cutting out some fabric using a skirt I already owned as a template and getting it wrong, I genned up on how to take measurements and transpose them into a paper pattern properly.  I also researched how to insert an invisible zip and how to line a skirt then set to work cutting out my pieces and sewing them together as per the numerous You Tube vids instructed.

And here's what came out of the arse end of this little adventure
Yes the zip is slightly wonky (give me a break, it's only my third zip ever!), the back top seam is slightly higher than the front and it's a little bit roomy (I wasn't convinced my measurements would be generous enough) but I've counteracted all that by adding a cunning crocheted trim to the hem as a distraction, does it work?

I know it's a verging on the "Von Trapp" but I made Missy a matching pinafore dress using the two pieces of fabric I'd initially cut as I didn't want them to go to waste but don't worry I promise we'll only wear them at the same time when I'm teaching her to sing whilst on a cycle ride through the streets of Salzberg, "Doe, a deer, a female deer..."

2 comments:

  1. Put me down for one please. Can I join the Von Wright family?

    They are fantabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, yes but you must learn to obey your particular whistle sound! x

      Delete

A penny for your thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...