Missy was invited to a friend's birthday party a couple of weeks back and instead of choosing a frou-frou number to wear she opted for a gorgeous pinafore dress made from pink 1970s vintage sheet fabric that my sister, knowing I have an obsession with groovy flower power prints, had bought for her last year.
She got so many complements from the other mums at the party that I got to thinking that I might try my hand at making a similar dress from some of the vintage bed linens I've been collecting over the last year or so.
I'd never made a dress before so I used the original party dress as a template, taking note of how it was constructed, and set to work making a paper pattern. The dress worked up really quickly on my trusty machine, I even managed to work out how to line the dress and added some vintage buttons to cover the press studs
and a pretty crocheted trim to the hem.
I was so pleased with the result that I made a second dress from a vintage sheet
A third from some 80s My Little Pony curtain fabric I got from a car boot sale last summer
and a fourth from some retro paper dolly fabric I had that wasn't doing much
I think Missy now associates sheets with dresses as she saw me with a recent charity shop bed linen purchase and asked if I could make her another dress out of it, I'm sorry lady but you're going to have to get in the queue as I'd like to try and make myself something pretty this time round!