Pages

Thursday, 3 November 2011

The Captain's Table

Buster was getting too big for his salvaged half hexagon (trapezoid?) shaped ex-school desk and I knew he hankered after a bureau like mine with its little drawers and compartments so I had a search on eBay and came up with this as a local collection only for £20
pic from eBay
pic from eBay
As you can see it wasn't in the best nick so I decided to give it a makeover and as Buster has ambitions of a sea-faring nature I thought I'd try my best to give him a captain's desk.


Mr Right sanded the dark varnish off and I gave the whole thing a few coats of a Royal Navy style battleship blue/grey paint, I ordered four sheets of luxury wrapping paper in the form of reproduction world maps from the early 1900s (one with all the pink bits from an bygone era when Britain truly was Great and we actually had an Empire) and decoupaged the desk area
and the interiors of all the drawers


I also managed to salvage a chair from a skip at around the same time so I gave that a makeover too
The unloved chair before
Painting it in the same colour and recovering the seat with new wadding 
and a tea towel showing the British sea areas (those weird sounding places from the shipping forecast)
I replaced the handles on the desk and made a ships wheel from buttons (at Buster's request)
And here are the finished items in pride of place with Buster's ships in bottles displayed on top
Not bad for £20, some paint, wrapping paper, a tea towel, some buttons and wire and a little elbow grease.  Buster loves it and I'm sure he'll be planning his adventures at it soon enough.

As ever, linking up with Handmade Thursday over on White Lily Green



Inspire Me Beautiful

6 comments:

  1. Oh my God! I love this SO much!!! It looks amazing! WOW!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the maps!

    http://kathrynscuriouslife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Buster is a lucky pirate indeed he is!

    What adventures to be planned.

    You are SO clever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous! Love the map decoupage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ta muchly for the table appreciation everyone. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my god, these are so fantastic I can barely think of words! LOVE the shipping forecsat teatowel too - what a find!!bx

    ReplyDelete

A penny for your thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...